Sunday, March 30, 2008

Crazy week of activities (Having a social life is hard work!)

Because the first week of classes is usually pretty mild, I decided that I would catch up on having a social life, as well as trying to get a head start on my coursework. Since Wednesday I have done the following:

  • Gave a big presentation on Madame Bovary for my graduate seminar on Modernism (and came up with vague notion for a possible thesis topic)
  • Watched the first disc of Battlestar Galactica Season Three with my friend Ben as we try to get caught up so that we can watch Season Four on TV (with a few more marathon sessions scheduled for the coming week because the first episode airs this Friday night)
  • Went to see an excellent touring production of My Fair Lady (the first time I had ever seen that show)
  • Went to a Saturday matinee of the play Gee's Bend and got an idea for how I might write one of my story ideas as a play
  • Cheered on the Nuggets in a thrilling victory over the Golden State Warriors in the first live basketball game I've been able to attend in years
  • Drank a few beers with my buddy Frank and had the first non-depressing conversation about academia that I've had in far too long
Now I must get back to all the reading that I neglected while I was having so much fun.

0 comments: